1. In the first World Cup edition in 1975,
India’s Sunil Gavaskar etched his name in history with the infamous 174-ball 36. What contrasting record did England’s Dennis Amiss set in
2. In their debut World Cup in 1983,
Zimbabwe almost upset India before Kapil Dev’s
What’s your cricket quotient?
Take our quiz to check how well-prepared you are for the 2011
World Cup bash
tion job (33 runs off 18 balls, followed by a
three-for with the ball), Pakistan thrashed
England to lift the 1992 World Cup. But
Pakistan might not have made the semifinal but
for a helping hand from the rain gods earlier.
They salvaged a point in a washed-out group
match against England after being bowled out
for how much?
5. Australia scraped through against the
West Indies by 5 runs in the 1996 semifinal at
Mohali. During the Windies chase, a batsman
slog-swept Shane Warne towards vacant square
leg, only to smack the square-leg umpire on the
head, denying any run. Who was the batsmen
and who was the umpire?
6. Sachin Tendulkar was the highest run-get-ter in the 1996 World Cup. Who was the worst-performing batsman in that edition? (Hint: He
scored 2 runs from 5 innings.)
V V S Laxman
NIGEL MARPLE/REU TERS
2003. In that Indian squad, which player did the
selectors chose over Laxman?
9. In 2003 again, South Africa botched their
rain rule calculation against Sri Lanka, with the
match resulting in a tie, leading to their elimination? Who were the batsmen at the crease who,
thinking they had won the match by the rain
rule, did not run a single off the last ball before
10. How many man of the match awards
has India’s Zaheer Khan won in ODIs?
heroic 175 turned the tide. But the minnows
defeated Australia in their debut one day international earlier in the tournament. What was
unusual about the Oz batting line up in that
3. In the 1987 edition, what did Courtney
Walsh refuse to do to the last Pakistani batsman
in a group match, costing the West Indies a
place in the semi-final? And who was the batsman?
4. Thanks to a classic Wasim Akram demoli-
7. Shane Warne was the joint highest wicket-taker (20 wickets) with which bowler in the
8. V V S Laxman is arguably the greatest
batsmen never to have played a World Cup since
its introduction. The closest he came was in
ANDRE W BIRAJ/REU TERS
A n s w ers:
1. H escored thefirst W orld C up century 2.
Six of th eir to p seve n b ats m e n, b arrin g ca ptain
Ki m H ug hes, w ereleft ha n ded 3. R u n out
Salee m Jaffar 4.74 5. Richie Richardson-B C
C o oray 6. K eith A rth urto n 7. G eoff Allot 8.
Dinesh M ongia 9. M ark Boucher-Lance
K lu es n er 1 0. Z ero